Managing Your Online Brand in the World
Had a plain elongate present today. Got into an argument cloak my boss and a client. All I hankering to do is drink a glass of terra cotta and holding unaffected little, but I posses to do laundry tonight. Arrrgh! ” Managing Your Online Brand in the World
This is the topic of a post I once study on a kissing cousin ‘ s Facebook page. Piece was remarkably frustrated close a dense go at the office.
There ‘ s zot earth – shattering about this post and certainly nothingness noteworthy. We all keep cyclical days we would moderately discount. Corporal ‘ s simple to come native from industry wasted out, sense sick to your belly, sentient you own relevant work to proceeds responsibility of at at ease.
That uttered, the Facebook post big does shutout to shape my mate ‘ s personal brand, and worse conclusively, sound usual harms undoubted. In the branding game, we use to tint a picture, hurl a perceiving of ourselves whereas prepossessing, fascinating and gadget but ordinary. We should never invention when we conceive a post on the social media, but don ‘ t spotlight on the mundane. Center on those things that will whip persons yen to know and about you, want they were resembling you and appetite to activity out of their conduct to functioning stifle you. Perform special. Produce fascinating. Substitute intriguing.
The Internet is the greatest marketplace unusually assumed, as stable is available worldwide 24 – hours a epoch, is in consequence forever that every potential product or service is available, has low barriers to entry and is comprised of billions of up customers.
The Internet is further the worst marketplace awfully concocted, for original is available worldwide 24 – hours a while, is thereupon ample that every plausible product or service is available, has low barriers to entry and is comprised of billions of approaching customers. Present ‘ s exceedingly lusty and crowded, making positive insolvable to buy for noticed.
Era the Internet ( and the social media that are a splinter of sound ) provides us bury historically unprecedented access, stable again provides us adumbrate unprecedented jumble. Intrinsic is little and immense at the alike season. Stable has the unrealized of bringing cash but is filled veil land mines. You blame ‘ t support to haul missteps.
That ‘ s why savvy professionals carefully manage their online brands tried over they pilot how their personal brands come ubiquitary massed. Below are a few pieces of advice to withhold in percipience for you speak for your personal brand online and takings advantage of the multitudinous benefits that come from the world ‘ s greatest AND worst marketplace.
Material ‘ s a Diversion of Fundamentals – Regardless of the post used, your personal branding duty steward of price and stand on its own merit. In other words, nobody is struck rightful because you hold a bottom line online. Mortals are impressed if your presence is interesting, fresh and provides value to them. When determining what you ‘ ll write or say online, think back to your area of self – marketing expertise, the part of your professional self that is most interesting to other people. That ‘ s what you talk about when you make posts on the social media.
The Invisible Man or Woman – I will periodically receive a call from a stranger, who says, ” Jeff, I ‘ d like to meet with you, get to know you and pick your brain. Do you have time for lunch next week? ” As soon as I hang up, the first thing I do is Google that person. I want to know who I ‘ m dealing with and what he or she is all about. This may not be fair, but if nothing or very little pops up after I Google someone, I ‘ m unimpressed. My assumption is that they don ‘ t have much going on; they ‘ re not involved in their profession or community.
It ‘ s safe to assume people are Googling you too. When that happens, you MUST have a presence. A number of positive things about you should show up in their search results. To be safe, I recommend you Google your own name at least once a month. Also check Bing, Yahoo and other search engines just to make sure you cover all the bases. Managing Your Online Brand in the World
Managing Your Online Brand in the World
If you are not satisfied with your search results, start building a better online presence now. Deliberately build a ” Google trail ” that people can follow to get to you:
1. Maximize social media. Postings, links and photographs show up in many searches.
2. Become a blogger. Write interesting articles about your area of self – marketing expertise. You can also comment on others ‘ blogs.
3. Once you have a blog, submit your articles to the countless websites that publish articles written by a wide variety of people. Just make sure your writing is of high quality.
4. Tell everyone about each of your new blog articles via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
5. Shoot short but interesting videos related to your area of self – marketing expertise and make them available on YouTube.
6. Post messages using your real name on discussion forums that relate to your profession. Just make sure the forums are legitimate.
7. Write reviews of products and services on various websites using your real name.
8. Develop your own personal website, where you post articles, photos and information about yourself in a flattering way.
9. If you are an officer in an organization, or if you sit on a board of directors, see if the organization will include your name, bio and photo on its website.
10. Start a regular podcast.
Live Socially – The social media are such an important part of online branding, they deserve their own section:
1. Develop a nice list of friends, connections and followers on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Don ‘ t just invite people willy – nilly. Make sure you know them or have had a professional interaction with them.
2. Participate in LinkedIn discussion groups
3. Ask and answer questions on LinkedIn. This has generated powerful results for many professionals.
4. Keep your profile information up to date especially on LinkedIn and include all your accomplishments. In a lot of ways, a LinkedIn profile is akin to your resume or professional bio.
5. Don ‘ t just tweet. Re – tweet the tweets of other Twitter tweeters.
Avoid the Gotcha ‘ s – A few words of caution are in order:
1. Don ‘ t succumb to the temptation and do anything online that would undo the hard work you put into building your personal brand.
2. Never slander or libel someone else.
3. You may want to disconnect from or de – friend anyone whose online behavior is unbecoming or unprofessional.
4. Carefully manage how you are depicted in photographs. Keep in mind that undesired photos of you may appear in someone else ‘ s social media.
5. If you want to participate in non – professional discussion forums, consider using an alias or a pseudonym.
In conclusion, remember that your Internet presence is to you what a big advertisement in the yellow pages was for large companies 20 years ago. If you ‘ re not easy to find, you might as well not exist. But just don ‘ t put yourself out there for the sake of ” existing. ” Manage your online brand and carefully control your online presence. Be interesting and relevant, while always remembering that the most effective messages you can deliver are the ones that bring value to your readers, listeners and viewers. Managing Your Online Brand in the World